Mini Tag - Under 7”
• Pitch size reduced to 12 x 20
To evaluate a more flexible approach when introducing children to Rugby Union coupled with the minimum of intervention by Coaches whilst refereeing.
Mini Tag U7 Rules of Play (RoP) 2012-13 will be used with the following changes:-
• Team numbers reduced from 7/5 to 4 aside.
• Pitch size reduced to 12 x 20 maximum in line with reduced numbers.
• Mini Tag U7 RoP 3 “Passing” amended to allow knock on:- The ball can only be passed sideways or backwards through the air, not handed to another player. If the ball is handed to another player then a free pass is awarded to the non-offending side, unless advantage occurs to the non-offending side. In order to keep the game flowing,
referees should play advantage wherever possible.
• There is no offence of a “Knock-On” and the ball remains in play by both sides and Mini Tag U7 RoP 9 “Ball on the Ground” still applies.
Coach should see this as an opportunity to coach within a game and if interpretations vary this provides an excellent learning opportunity for the players to review, adapt and modify their play.
A free flowing & continuous game should be encouraged, and the rules offer core guidelines to the game, with enough flexibility for the coach/referee to adapt to the needs and abilities of the players. Referee/coach should refrain from intervening too often and should only do so if a) it is dangerous/potentially dangerous b) there is an injury or c) there is an obvious and significant advantage to one side.